12 January 2009

3-D Typography

I found this beautiful work by Yulia Brodskaya featured on Drawn! in one of their December posts. The work here depicts letters and words carefully crafted out of strips of paper, turned on their edges and shapes into calligraphy-like works. I thought of Mary and the work she has done in the past to discuss typography with her college Freshmen (...looking for a citation... looking... no luck). The slide show I've posted doesn't really do the artist justice. Either way, check out the "Detail" slide: it shows some of the work from an angle that illustrates the rich, tedious work done to achieve the final product.

3 comments:

  1. This work reminds me of the "paper work" you did once to win a contest and be published in the "Focus on the Family" publication.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool. I used to be a calligrapher, even was the official calligrapher for the county for quite a while. Lost touch with it, but am taking Arabic and trying to get my hand back in the art.Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, this is sweet. In the street sense, of course. I was the official calligrapher of my county for a long time. Haven't done any for years, and now am learning Arabic and trying to get my hand back. Thanks for the inspire. Post some of your art.

    ReplyDelete